Okay, so this is banana bread recipe #1, which I hope will be followed up by at least a second recipe. I wanted to post this because it’s great, but I must confess that it didn’t turn out as I expected. I had intended to create a classic banana bread from my childhood–light, moist, and studded with banana pieces. I confess I was over-enthusiastic about smashing the bananas however, and this particular combination evolved into something more cake-like. It’s dense and slightly sweeter than a classic banana bread (although not too sweet). Add in the chocolate chips, and you have a wonderful dessert. I suspect it would make delicious muffins as well.
As with all banana bread recipes, the key is to use very ripe bananas. If you have more patience than I do, you can wait until they are blacker than this. Or if you don’t have time to use bananas when they are ready, you can put them in the freezer once they are at a desired ripeness. They will turn black, but will be completely fine to use.
Once the bananas are ready, mash them with a fork to combine. Separately combine all the dry ingredients and mix. I use a number of spices to kick this recipe up a notch. I think they go well with the banana flavor.
Bake the loaf for about an hour. I use a dark baking pan. If your pan is lighter in color, you may need to bake for longer. The loaf should feel slightly springy to the touch, and your cake tester should come out clean.
Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
Adapted liberally from the Food Network
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (if available, use freshly ground)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) of butter, melted
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 ripe bananas, smashed
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9x5x3 baking pan
- Combine flour, baking soda, and spices in a medium bowl and stir with a fork to mix
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars together at medium-high speed until well mixed
- Add eggs one at a time and vanilla to butter and sugars and beat on medium speed until mixed
- Add dry ingredients about 1/3 at a time, mixing at low speed to combine
- Add bananas and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon
- Add chocolate chips and mix with a spatula or wooden spoon
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan and bake for 60 minutes